Silicone molds, also known as casting silicone, it is one of the common ways to make prototypes. There are three steps to make silicone molds.
- Mother Prototype: Before making the silicone mold, you need to make a prototypeby 3D printing or CNC machining. As to material，usuallycommon ABS materials, CNC processing is sufficient.
- After theprinted or CNC’dprototype is ready, start making the silicone mold housing. After eight hours of drying, the silicone mold was cut open and the prototype was taken out. The silicone mold is now ready.
- Injection: Inject the liquid gum material into the silicone mold and dry it. The service life of the silicone mold is about 10-20mold times.
Advantages and disadvantages:
The advantages are fast time, low cost, and low probability of processing failure. Using a silicone mold can make more than 10 identical products. Greatly reduced product development costs, cycles and risks.
The disadvantages are that the mold is not resistant to acid and alkali, nor resistant to aging, it has a short life, and the surface of the mold is prone to traces, streaks and non-smooth phenomena, and the product accuracy is not high(theoretically tolerance up to two over one thousand 2‰).
- The amount of curing agent should be set according to the temperature, and it will decrease when the temperature is high. If the curing agent is used excessively, the mold will become hard and brittle; if the curing agent we use is not enough, the operation time will be prolonged.
- In order to prevent the physical property change of the mold silicone, it is recommended not to add too much silicone oil.
- In order to achieve the best use of your mold, please store the mold for at least 24 hours before using it.
- Hardmaterialcasting mold can be made of resin.
It is mainly used in toy and gift industry, craft gift industry, furniture decoration industry, character reproduction, building decoration industry, simulation animal and plant sculpture, Buddha carving crafts and other industries.